Lewis Vaughn’s Concise Guide to Critical Thinking (PDF) offers a clear, compact, and economical introduction to critical thinking and argumentative writing. Based on his best-selling text, The Power of Critical Thinking, Fifth Edition, this inexpensive volume is more manageable than larger textbooks yet more significant than many of the smaller critical thinking handbooks.
* A chapter on hindrances to critical thinking
* A chapter on fallacies and rhetorical persuaders
* Full coverage of inference to the best explanation
* A substantial chapter on writing argumentative essays
* Focus on the evaluation of evidence, authority, and credibility
* Six chapters on identifying, evaluating, and devising inductive and deductive arguments
* Several exercises, including review questions, exercises for applying critical thinking skills, writing assignments and prompts, and self-assessment quizzes
* Broad treatment of scientific reasoning, with chapters on inductive reasoning, scientific theories and inference, causal arguments, and scientific method and theory evaluation.
“Vaughn’s textbook includes all that an introduction to critical thinking should cover, is well-written, features thought-provoking exercises and examples, and is reasonably priced.” — Nicholas Smith, Borough of Manhattan Community College
“Vaughn’s Concise Guide to Critical Thinking does an excellent job in encompassing how to evaluate different theories/hypotheses–in a brief yet detailed manner. It is considerably better than any text I have used for informal logic.” — Chris Kramer, Rock Valley College
NOTE: The product only includes the ebook, Concise Guide to Critical Thinking in PDF. No access codes are included.